Pages

His Name is Wonderful

While I was reading Isa. 9:6, the Lord made me stop and meditate about the first one of HIS names mentioned on the verse: “…. And his name shall be called Wonderful…" Wonderful means: excellent; great; marvelous, something that arouses wonder; amazing; astonishing, extraordinary, difficult to understand, admirable. Some of the synonyms of this word are: awesome, wondrous, miraculous, prodigious, astonishing, amazing, astounding, phenomenal, unique, curious, and strange.

Immediately, I started to look for related passages and found there are many verses in the Bible that describe not just Him, but also HIS works, His testimonies and counsels as wonderful; Hallelujah! All the sudden I started to think about the Lord our GOD, why is HE called Wonderful. The Holy Spirit started to fill up my mind with all the things that I can see that are a wonder to me and also the inexplicable things. I recall what the Bible says about His people, Israel, and more than anything how wonderful HE has been to me.


I look at creation, look at pictures from the Hubble telescope showing planets, stars, galaxies that our mind couldn't think of, and you must admit you marvel of the beauty and wonder, how much more is that we do not know yet? Read Genesis 1 and Job 38-41 and we can understand how HE is worthy of HIS name, "Wonderful"; yes, HE is "full of wonders"!


I have used the word wonderful many times not thinking of what it means. We sometimes wonder at human creation, like ancient monuments, and called them “wonders of the world".

We look at the Northern lights in awe, and we wonder and ask, how this structures were made or how this lights are formed? We may be able to respond to those; yet, you look at a changed person by the power of GOD and that is a miracle, inexplicable by the law of nature. a real Wonderful thing!

You know why I think HE is Wonderful to me? HIS Word says: "Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:"Isa 42:5

GOD promised Abraham to make a nation out of him and to give the land of Israel to them and we can see that promise fulfilled. Israel was in Egypt, but through wonderful signs he delivers them from Pharaoh. HE saved, protect, guide, provide, discipline, forgave, heal them, fought their battles, and HE blessed them bringing them into the promise land; you can read about all this in Psalm 78.

When I read the story of Israel, I cannot help it, I think that I serve the same GOD that deliver Israel, and HE did the same for me. I can find myself looking at my life, when I responded to His call to believe in HIM, when I failed HIM, when HE forgave, and restore me, when HE discipline me, when I was in distress and gave me peace, when he provided for me, healed me, and set me free.

We all have names, and if you look into it you could find that your name means something. I have tried to explain what Wonderful means in human terms, but as one of the definitions I gave you at the beginning of this article is: difficult to understand, so it may be. One thing I want to share with you, that I learned is: “HE, the One who is Wonderful, can only be understood, when you walk along with HIM.” __ E. Lee

The fact is that only a life that experience the power of HIS name can appreciate the depth of HIS wonders, and testify of the blessings received. I am so thankful to my Lord Jesus Christ, the Wonderful One, because HE let me see this. I have learned not to use HIS name lightly, HE has givien me the opportunity to remember what HE has done for me and for that I praise HIM. I use the word wonderful, as I said before, for all kind of situations, now, when it comes to my mind, I think about HIM! , because HE is much more:

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isa.9:6

I pray you will also be captivate by HIS Wonderful name, get to know HIM and walk close to HIM.